Friday, October 30, 2009

On The Road


I am off to Tanzania today to cover the first part of the three part documentary. The sun glints off the new paint of the airplanes around me as I sit in the Africa Lounge overlooking the runway. I am acutely aware of my own carbon footprint, not only from this project but all my travels. Part of my impetus for creating this documentary is to find the best way to neutralize my own carbon footprint. I will happiily share what I find out.

The project in Tanzania is on Forestry.

I am curious to find out how forestry works within the present Kyoto Protocol, and why so few forestry projects in Africa have succeeded in registering their projects with the Clean Development Mechamism (CDM) that allows the carbon they sequester to be sold on the open market. To date there are only a few, and Green Resources, which runs this project I am visiting in Sao Hill, has a good track record of regsitration and carbon removal.

I will be high up in the forests, so may be unable to attend to my blog, but will update it as much as possible while on the road.

My flight is being called. Time to lay down more carbon in the atmostphere and get on my three hour flight over southern Africa.

Jeffrey Barbee
Octber 30th, Oliver Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg

No comments:

Post a Comment